Although in December many mówi nd about the delicacies waiting on the holiday table, likely no dish is równie awaited, what aromatic red borscht with ravioli. But what are the roots and the secret of this thoroughly Polish, traditional and uniquely flavored soup? Contrary to appearances, the borscht of the past was not at all like the current clear beet brothów, and they were closer to the classic sorrel soup.
Derived from the European culinary tradition, borscht is a soup thatóra, despite being primarily associated with Christmas Eve, is a dish with a much more extensive history. The name itself comes from a representative of the plant world – Borscht, which belongs to the celery family and is found extremely often in fields and meadows. In the Middle Ages, it was a very important part of the daily menu, due to its widespread occurrence, versatility of use and flavor distinct enough to create aromatic dishes even without the addition of many spices. In the pickled version it was the basis of the soup, which is the prototype of all types of borscht – Red, Ukrainian, white and even green, made from sorrel in Russia and Ukraine. Specificallyólne place amongód it takes Christmas Eve red borscht, which is prepared only once a year, during the magical Christmas time.
Regardless of the type of borscht, the key feature is its distinct, sour taste. The most traditional method, derived from folk cuisine, is to boil the stock based on previously prepared beet sourdough. Fromód other popular waysów is found in róAlso supplementing the recipe with lemon juice and even vinegar, which often raises objections from expertsóin Polish cuisine. Pure borscht poses a major culinary challenge, because in addition to its intensely sour taste, it should also be characterized by a deep ruby color, któThis can be achieved by adding the wrong componentsóin or wrong proportions. – Traditional Christmas Eve red borscht, despite the natural sweetness of beetsów, is characterized by a pronounced sour note. What makes it possible is the addition of beet sourdough, który is formed by the decomposition of sugarów. It usually takes about 7 days before the beets begin to ferment. The ingredient thatóry in much lessótighter time allows to give the soup the right flavor, is róalso apple juice. Skillfully chosen proportions ensure that the borscht does not lose its natural deep red color – móLukasz Janiak, an expert from Profi.
Once lost, the red of borscht is virtually impossible to restoreócenia. Therefore, in order to avoid surprises before Christmas Eve dinner, it is better to bet on proven and effective methods to achieve the best possible taste, going hand in hand with an appetizing appearance.
A simple recipe for Christmas Eve ravioli
An indispensable addition to the borscht served during Christmas Eve supper is, of course, ravioli. Like borscht, small Christmas dumplings must be fasted, so they are most often prepared with mushroom or cabbage stuffing. To save time on the day of Christmas Eve dinner, we can make them the day before, and then warm them in hot water. How to quickly make delicious homemade borscht with ravioli?
Christmas Eve borscht with mushroom ravioli
The recipe is recommended by Robert Muzyczka, chef of Dwor Korona Karkonoszy
Ingredients for the dough:
- ½ kg of wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 80 g of dried bay boletesów
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- sól and pepper to taste
- 1 l Profi Red Borscht
- Sift flour into a bowl, add egg, oil and pouring water to make an elastic dough.
- Put mushrooms in a strainer and rinse thoroughly with water. Transfer to a pot, pour water and cook until soft. Drain, cool and grind in a meat grinder on a coarse mesh.
- Finely dice the onion and fry in oil until light golden brown. At the end of frying, add butter to melt the warm onions. Whole add to the mushroomóIn, add róAlso breadcrumbs, sól, pepper to taste and mix thoroughly. Put the stuffing prepared in this way into a bowl, knead and put it in the iceboxótions on the pó³ hours.
- Roll out the dough for ravioli thinly, cut out circles with a small glass and put stuffing on each of them, then stick the ravioli together. Cook in batches in boiling salted water for 2 minutes after the ravioli float to the surface. Hot put out on plates. Heat Christmas Eve red borscht in a saucepan for about 15 minutes, then pour it over the ravioli.
If ravioli were prepared in advance, just after cooking, temper them in cold water, drain and grease with a small amount of oil. Then transfer to a bowl, cover and put it in the refrigeratorówki or put into a bagóin and freeze.